Monday 18 April 2011

Rob (Da Albatros) Cairns.


I miss Rob Cairns. He's been in Leeds for what seems like forever and now he's in Prague. He's one of those dudes who really keeps the scene together. Through his kindness, generosity and relaxing attitude. Rob, with no conscious or concerted effort on his part helps all those around him to gel and feel wanted. His presence lifts spirits and his enthusiasm is infectious creating enthusiasm and energy in the session. Whether tooling across town on his fixie in his reckless and inherently dangerous style or hopping large on his BMX it's all smiles positivity and fun times. It feels like a lifetime ago since we bombed red traffic lights and I miss it. When riding in the city with Rob I feel like I'm struggling to keep up not due to fitness but due to Rob's throw caution to the wind style. Rob survives traffic situations on a bicycle not through skill or second guessing what's going to happen next but by sheer Karma. The gods are looking out for him. He's spent so much time with so many people bringing good vibes and positivity into their lives that his Karma bank is filled to capacity. He glides through seemingly deadly situations without a care in the world knowing this mystical force is protecting him. Average mortals would be crushed under a bus daily choosing to ride as Rob does, but not he, he has that Karma stored up and like a Buddhist superhero guided by Kamma Niyama he keeps on surviving in style.


BMX in Newcastle feels the loss of Cairnsy from the scene and longs for his return. The short discourse on the phone I had with him related that he was happy in Prague, he had found some good people (as he inevitably will in any situation), had found some good bars, had a nice apartment with a balcony and was at peace. Our phone conversation left me feeling increasingly down from his disappearance. A few days later and Mexican John and I had hatched a plan to go visit him. A couple of days ago we booked flights for the start of May from Jet2. I only mention the flight provider due to being, for want of a better term 'shafted' from Easy Jet in September. The crux of which meant that Easy Jet had left me stranded in Paris with no chance of returning home through them or any of their cohorts for another 10 days. After sleeping in an airport over night and spending a fortune on Euro rail tickets I made my own way home. Easy jet promised to recompense to the tune of 300 nicker of which I'm still to receive. Now I'm sure 300 quid is nothing to your average frequent flyer, but if like me you sometimes only make 400 quid a month then it's a pretty big blow to your finances. The only upshot to this whole Easy jet debacle was that it give Rob Cairns a chance to pull something off in true Rob fashion. Having Paid on to the Euro Star and passed through customs Rob text me concerning the logistics of how I was getting home. I relayed the details of our train times to him. With only half an hour remaining till we set off I imagined he'd jump on a later train. Not Rob, he booked the same train as us, threw his bike and belongings in a box and made a 20 metro stop dash across rush hour Paris. He fumbled through Euro Star security and ran up the platform as the Euro Star doors were closing just managing to leap on to the train. What a hero. Its these instances of rushed insanity and absolute chilled and relaxed level headedness that make Cairnsy so fascinating.


By his own admission, Cairnsy hasn't always been the uber chilled free spirit he is now. After his aggression filled early days playing ice hockey he went through a confused period of clubbing, fake tans, high fashion and debt riddled mistakes. But you learn by your mistakes, especially if that mistake is a DnG belt, a hot hatch and a pair of fake tits for a loved one who subsequently dumps you a few months later. Strength is only learned through failure. Cairnsy's strengths once guided our little scene and like glue held it all together, we need him back because things always feel on the verge of falling apart, we need him back because he relaxes me and stresses me in equal measure keeping my balance of life correct and we need him back because life just isn't the same without him.


I miss you brother, I can't wait to see you in Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment